All dog licenses expire December 31st. All dogs at the age of 6 months or more, by law need to be licensed, on or before January 1st of each year.
The fee for a male or female dog is $11
The fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $6
To license a dog, the owner must provide:
- A current rabies certificate
- Proof and/or a certificate if spayed or neutered
- If moving from another town/city in Maine, bring in current license and a new
license will be issued. The cost is $2
- Licenses are available for renewals and new for the next year on or around October 15th. All dogs must be registered by January 31st of each year. After that date, a $25.00 per dog late fee applies.
1st Time Licensing
If you are licensing your dog for the 1st time in Maine:
- You must have a current rabies vaccination certification issued by a Maine licensed veterinarian.
- You must have an accurate description of your dog, including your dog’s name, breed, sex and color
- You must have a written statement from your veterinarian that clearly states your dog is altered and or / sterile to qualify for the low cost altered license fee.